Prof. Apostolos Nikolaidis
The Emeritus Professor of the Theological School of EKPA Apostolos Nikolaidis was a Professor at the Department of Social Theology and Religion of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens from 1997 to 2020 with the subject Sociology of Religion and Social Ethics. He also served as President of the Department and Dean of the School of Theology for about five years. He is currently a Professor at the University of Nicosia.
His research interests revolve around Political Theology, Bioethics, Ethics of Religions, Social Ethics, Sociology of Christianity and Sociology of Religion. Key research areas are Neo-Marxism, the Frankfurt School, French and German Religion and Sociology.
He organized himself as a Dean or took an active part as a Professor in dozens of scientific and interdisciplinary Conferences in Greece and Abroad.
He published an original in his entire scientific work: 36 original monographs and 130 articles in scientific journals.
The Emeritus Professor of the Theological School of EKPA Apostolos Nikolaidis was a Professor at the Department of Social Theology and Religion of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens from 1997 to 2020 with the subject Sociology of Religion and Social Ethics. He also served as President of the Department and Dean of the School of Theology for about five years. At the present stage, he is a Professor at the University of Nicosia in the subjects of Ethics and Sociology.
He studied Theology at the Universities of Athens and Bonn, Germany. He completed postgraduate studies in the systematic field of Theology (Ethics and Sociology of Religion, Political Theology) in Bonn and Bochum, Germany. In 1979 he was appointed Professor of Secondary Education where he served until 1997. In 1993 he was awarded a doctorate in the Department of Social Theology of the University of Athens on “The New Anthropology of Religion in the Philosophy of Ernst Bloch” with a grade of “excellent”. His doctorate refers to Post-Religious Anthropology in its neo-Marxist understanding and in the context of modern Theological and Philosophical Anthropology.
During all the years of his scientific and academic course, consistent with his studies, he engaged in research and writing in two scientific fields: The Sociology of Religion and Ethics in all its manifestations.
In the field of Sociology, Professor Apostolos Nikolaidis turned his interest to the social teaching of the Greek Fathers of the Church and especially to the relationship between Dogmas and ecclesiastical and social life for the establishment of an orthodox Sociology of Christianity, in Religion as a social phenomenon, and political, cultural, moral and economic factor on the basis of the main founders and representatives of the Sociology of Religion.
In the field of Ethics, he was particularly engaged in the fields of Christian Ethics, Bioethics and Social Ethics. His contribution to the crystallization of socio-ethical issues in the Orthodox World is special, bringing, among other things, the institution of the Church to all other institutions. His contribution to the establishment of two new scientific disciplines worldwide, the Ethics and the Bioethics of Religions is also decisive.
In the Department of Social Theology and Religious Studies he taught the courses: Christian Ethics, Social Ethics, Bioethics, Ethics of Religions, Sociology of Religion, Sociology of Christianity, Sociology, Ecumenical Movement and Interreligious Dialogue. He was the first to introduce, establish and teach at the Theological School of EKPA the courses Sociology of Religion, Bioethics, Social Ethics, Ethics of Religions and Interreligious Dialogue.
He also taught outside the University of Athens
– At the Higher Ecclesiastical School of Athens for fifteen years (1990-2005) the courses Dogmatic, Symbolic and Philosophy.
– In the Parents’ Schools of the Center for Mental Health for thirty years (1990-2020).
– At the People’s University of the Society of Friends of the People for twenty-three (66-semester seminars, 1997-2020).
At the Higher School of Police Officers for one year.
In PEK West Attica for one year.
– At the Naval War School for four years.
– At the School of National Security for twenty-three (1997-2020).
He was a) senator for the acad. The year 1997-1998, the two years 2009-2011, and the four years 2016-2020. b) Director of two Departments for three acad. years. c) President of the Department of Social Theology of EKPA for the two years 2009-2011. d) Vice President of the Department for the two years 2011-13 and 2013-2015. e) Chairman of the Supervisory Board of the Secondary Ecclesiastical Education at the Ministry of Education for the period 2009-2013, f) member of the Board of Directors of the Student Home EKPA for three years (2011-2014), g) member and vice-chairman of the Board of the University Club, h) member of the Postgraduate Programs Committee of EKPA (2016-2020).
As a Dean, he pioneered the renaming of the Department of Social Theology to the Department of Social Theology and Religious Studies and the establishment of an English Interdepartmental MSc entitled “Studies in Orthodox Theology”.
He took an active part in many international and domestic Scientific Conferences. Some of them, such as “Aristotle and Christianity”, “Beginning and evolution of the world and man with reference to the Six Days of Basil”, “Orthodoxy and Reform”, “180 years of Theological Studies at EKPA”, “Cosmas the Aetolian: 240 years since his martyrdom “,” Orthodox Theology in the 21st century. Challenges and Perspectives “he organized as Dean of the Theological School. Since 2006 he participates in the organization and chairs the annual pedagogical Conference of the Department of Scientists of the Association “M. Vassilios “, which takes place in Athens and other cities in Greece. He has given lectures in many parts of our country and abroad.
He is a member of three Synodal Committees, dealing with problems of the Family, the Environment and Bioethics, as well as a member of the Boards of Directors of other Public Benefit Institutions.
From the year 2021, he was assigned the Presidency of the Institute “Maximos the Greek”
In the period 1988-1993, he was a producer of radio shows on Ecology. From September 2009 to August 2010 he was the producer of the hourly live show on Interpersonal Relationships – Power Games on the same radio station. Since the beginning of 2022, he is the producer of the internet show WE AND THE OTHERS on the channel PemtpousiaTv.
He is married and with his wife Despina Spanos, they have nine children.
- Orthodoxy and Marxism in Dialogue in Secondary Education, Katerini 1986, p. 47.
- Ecology and peace, published by Apost. Diakonia, Athens 1987, p. 90.
- Socio-political Revolution and Political Theology, Tertios, Katerini 1987, p. 224.
- The cosmology of exercise and resignation, Tertios, Katerini 1990, p. 170.
- Explanations and misunderstandings in the field of Theology, Athens 1990, p. 264.
- The “new anthropology of religion” in the Philosophy of Ernst Bloch, Athens 1995 (new edition 2002 entitled Post-Religious Anthropology, published by Grigoris), p. 366.
- “Critical Theory” and social function of religion, Athens 1996 (new edition 2006, published by Grigoris), p. 383.
- The social dynamics of the holidays, Athens 1998 (new edition 2001, published by Grigoris), p. 221.
- Issues of Ecumenical Movement, Athens 1998, p. 274.
- Reflections on Christian ethics, Athens 2000 (new edition 2002, published by Grigoris), p. 342.
- The dialectic of sanctity and sociability in the work of Emile Durkheim, published by Grigoris, Athens 2001, p. 373.
- Critical Theology, published by Grigoris, Athens 2002, p. 186.
- Extremes and medians. From the Aristotelian to the patriarchal mediocrity, published by Grigoris, Athens 2003, p. 318.
- Religion and fear. The fear of religion and the religion of terrorism, published by Grigoris, Athens 2003, p. 285.
- Heterodox and Orthodox. Actions-Reactions-Interactions, Sociological research, published by Grigoris, Athens 2004, p.332.
- Nature and Culture, published by Grigoris, Athens 2006, p. 293.
- Games of power, published by Grigoris, Athens 2006, p. 307.
- Church and Social Customs, published by Grigoris, Athens 2006, p. 342.
- From Genesis to Genetics, published by Grigoris, Athens 2006, p. 391.
- Sociology of religion, published by Grigoris, Athens 2007, p. 351.
- The ecumenical adventures of Christianity, published by Grigoris, Athens 2007, p. 369.
- Concise Sociology, published by Grigoris, Athens 2008, p. 303.
- Social Ethics, published by Grigoris, Athens 2009.
- Dogmas and society, Sociological Design of Christianity, published by Grigoris, Athens 2009.
- Sociology of heresies, published by Grigoris, Athens 2009.
- The technique of control, published by Grigoris, Athens 2010.
- Symmetry and asymmetry in the teaching of the Three Hierarchs, published by Grigoris, Athens 2010.
- Hell and heaven. The dialectic of society and society, published by Grigoris, Athens 2010.
- Fanaticism, published by Grigoris, Athens 2012, p. 250.
- Social Christianity, published by Grigoris, Athens 2013, p. 254.
- Religiosity, morality, legality, published by Grigoris, Athens 2014, p. 246.
- The current crisis in the light of the teaching of the Three Hierarchs, published by Grigoris, Athens 2015.
- Education and Training according to the Three Hierarchs, Athens 2016.
- The dialogue of religions, Churches, and Institutions, published by Grigoris, Athens 2018, p. 399.
- Religions and Ethics. From the Ethics of Religion to the Ethics of Religions, published by Grigoris, Athens 2019, p. 362.
- Human life between science and ethics, published by Apostolic Diakonia, Athens 2021.
- The last temptation, published by Grigoris, Athens 2021.
- “Christianity for the homeland”, OUR ACTION, March 1975, p. 32.
- “The alienating power of money”, OUR ACTION, May 1981, p. 95.
- Peace Movements, reprint, Athens 1985.
- “Exercise as a proposal for an ecological way out”, SOCIETY 1/1989, p. 75.
- “Essence and ethos of power”, SAINT BARNABAS 4-8 / 1990.
- “Theology of nature or Ecology” AKRITAS 10/1989.
- Contemporary theological currents and trends in Western Europe, reprint, Athens 1992.
- Elias of Eschatology, reprint, Athens 1992.
- The ethos of trade union freedom, reprint, Athens 1992.
- “The Ecology of Sin and the Sin of Ecology”, TRADITION 1/1992.
- “Modern trends and methods for the alteration or abolition of the course of Religious Studies”, SOCIETY 2/1993.
- Satanism as a social phenomenon, reprint Athens 1995.
- “Die Berugssoziologie in der orthodoxen Sicht”, ORTHODOXES FORUM 1/1995.
- The schematic formula of dogmas as a reason for their sociological view, reprint, Athens 1997.
- Theological and institutional approaches of the Teachings of Agios Kosmas of Etolos, reprint, Athens 1998.
- The modern dynamics of Patriarchal Theology, reprint, Athens 1999.
- The theology of nobility and the nobility of theology, reprint, Athens 1999.
- “Death of God” and European culture, reprint 2000.
- “The social parameters of the feast of Orthodoxy”, ORTHODOX PRESENCE 72/2001.
- “Theology in the twentieth century”, SOCIETY OF FRIENDS OF THE PEOPLE (ed.), What the twentieth century bequeathed to us, Athens 2001, p. 29.
- Nature as teaching of man, reprint, Athens 2001.
- Institutional challenges from the application of cloning in humans, reprint, Athens 2002.
- “Crimes in the name of God”, AFTERNOON SUNDAY 23.3.2003.
- “Angels and demons”, SUNDAY AFTERNOON,
- “The social depiction of religious congruence”, HONORARY TRIBUTE TO KONSTANTINOS MOURATIDIS, Athens
- “Angels and demons”, SUNDAY AFTERNOON.
- “The social representation of religious synchronicity”, HONORARY TRIBUTE TO KONSTANTINOS MOURATIDIS, Athens 2003.
- “The religious dynamics of the Olympic idea”, Proceedings of the INSTITUTE OF INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION OF GREEK SCIENTISTS, Thessaloniki 2003.
- The other as close, reprint, Athens 2004.
- Religion and power, reprint, Athens 2003.
- “Religion and power”, EV. BENIZELOS / A. PANTELIS (ed.), Civilizations and public law, London 2005, p. 537-543.
- Social customs. Typology and way of dealing by the Apostle Paul, reprint, Veria 2005.
- “Work totalitarianism. Socio-ethical view “, APOSTOLOS TITOS 4/2006, p. 55 ex.
- “Eastern and Western Christianity”, TOLMI 67/2006.
- “Benefit from injustice”, OUR ACTION, May 2007.
- “Secularization of the Church. Negative aspects “, HONORARY VOLUME V. GIOULTSI, Thessaloniki 2007, pp. 443-450 .
- “The ecumenical character of Orthodoxy and the relations with the other Christian Denominations and the other religions”, MINUTES OF THE THIRD PANHELLENIC THEOLOGICAL CONFERENCE 7-9 / 9/2007, PETH, pp. 207-214.
- “The social causes of the ecological problem”, I.M.ILEIAS (ed.), Culture and Natural Environment, Pyrgos 2008, pp. 29-45.
- “The future of the Ecumenical Movement”, CHURCH 6/2008.
- “Introductory”, Teacher in the desert country, published by M. VASILEIOU, Athens 2007.
- “Social effects on the life of the big cities”, PROCEEDINGS of the Scientific Conference “Problems of the way of life of the big cities”, HOLY SYNOD OF THE CHURCH OF GREECE (ed.), Athens 2006, pp. 65-92.
- “Disgrace”, Great Orthodox Christian Encyclopedia (MOGE), vol. 2, 9-10.
- “Incest”, MOGE, Volume 1, 502-503.
- “Aescrology”, MOGE, volumes 2, 10.
- “German Christians”, MOGE 5, 107-108.
- “Gerontism”, MOGE 5, 128-129.
- “Parents”, MOGE 5, 290-292.
- ”National Social Movement”, MOGE 6, 418-419.
- “Evangelical principles of law”, HOLY SYNOD OF THE CHURCH OF GREECE (ed.), Christodoulos, Tribute Volume, Athens 2010, pp. 891-902.
- “Panagiotis Trembelas as an apologist”, SOTIR (ed.), Panagiotis Trembelas, Leo of Orthodoxy, Athens 2010, pp. 238-251.
- “Freedom and non-freedom”, reprint of EETHS.
- “Anatomy of modern education”, Proceedings of the 50th Pedagogical Conference of St. Basil 2010, pp. 7-20.
- “The political theology of Papoulakos”, Proceedings of the Faculty of Science. Conference in Klitoria, Athens 2010, pp. 77-84.
- “Love and heresy”, about CONTEMPTIONS, published by I.M. KYKKOU, 12/2010, pp. 40-48.
- “The interreligious dialogue in practice”, Honorary volume to Professor Theodoros Panagopoulos, University of Piraeus, pp. 1197-1206, Piraeus 2010.
- “National bankruptcy”, Proceedings of the 51st Pedagogical Conference on “National physiognomy of orthodox ecumenism in today’s Greece, Athens 2011, pp. 9-13.
- Holy Clergy and Trade Unionism, reprint, Athens 2010.
- “The ecumenical policy of Patriarch Athenagoras”, ΕΝΑΤΕΝΙSEIS, I.M. ΚΥΚΚΟΥ.
- “Exile as a condition of holiness”, Holy Monastery of ANARGYRON, Byzantine Greece-Lower Italy- Saint Elias the Younger (823-903), Parnon 2011, p. 75.
- “Theological and ethical issues regarding assisted reproduction and transplants”, Per. AKTINES 30/4/2012.
- “The integral elements of modern culture”, Proceedings of the 52nd Pedagogical Conference 2011, Department of Scientists of the Association of St. Basil, Athens 2012, pp. 11-40.
- “The principle of life: Orthodox-ecclesiastical bioethical approach”, ANALECTA CATHOLICA 1/2013, pp. 97-107.
- “Kirche in Diaspora: Soziologische Kommentare”, Vol.52 / 3/2013 www.revistateologia.ro/?p=643.
- “From the economy to idolatry”, THEOLOGY 4/2012, pp. 59-70.
- “Crisis and resurrection of the Nation”, Proceedings of the 53rd Pedagogical Conference, Department of Scientists M. Vassilios, Athens 2013, pp. 9-13.
- “The responsibility of Theology in the issues of Bioethics”, M. KANELLOPOULOU-BOTI / F. PANAGOPOULOU-KOUTNATZI, Medical Liability and Bioethics, Athens 2013, p. 291.
- Market domination and the responsibility of Theology, (reprint EETHSPA 2011, pp. 223-231), Athens 2011.
- “The social responsibility of the Church during the sacred Fire”, CHURCH 2/2014, pp. 90-106.
- “Disability: Social problem or social challenge?”, TENSIONS 21/2013, pp. 46-54.
- “Gifts and Charismatics in the Church according to the Apostle Paul”, anniversary volume PAVLEIA (published by the Holy See of Veria), Veria 2014, pp. 285-298.
- “Church and pre-Byzantine society”, EETHSA MZD / 2012, pp. 195-213 (reprint).
- “Kosmas the Aetolian and modern institutional crises”, Proceedings of the 54th Pedagogical Conference of the Department of Scientists M. Vassilios, Athens 2013. p. 9.
- “God for the lords or the lords for God?”, Romfea.gr 28.2.2015.
- “The demographic as a national problem”, Our Action 527/2015, p. 136.
- “Mycenaeans and Patrons in Rome and Byzantium”, TENSIONS 23/2104, pp. 31-35.
- “New perceptions about marriage”, http://www.immspartis.gr/?p=20112. Και http://aktines.blogspot.gr /2013/09/blog-post_1300.html
- “The lesson of religious-Sociological approach” http://thriskeftika.blogspot.gr/2009/05/blog-post_4831.html.
- “People and trees”, PENSIONS 25, p. 29.
- “Kosmas the Aetolian and the Greek Revolution”, Proceedings of the DG Conference on “Orthodox Church and the preservation of national identity”, Athens 2015, pp. 351-358.
- “Gender diversity and complementarity”. Proceedings of the 55th Pedagogical Conference of the Association of Scientists of the Association M. Vassilios, Athens 2015, p. 49.
- “Atheism and holiness”, about Our Action, 532/2016, 2-3.
- Basic Principles of Christian Bioethics and the Principles of Hippocrates, Reprint ΕΕΘΣΠΑ ΜΗ ’/ 13, Athens 2013.
- “From the rural to the urban parish”, REFLECTIONS 26/2016, p. 89 ex. and MUNICIPALITY OF KALABAKAS, Golden Jubilee Rev. Metropolitan of Stagi and Meteor, Mr. Seraphim, Trikala 2016, p. 609.
- “The phenomenon of atheism over time”, Proceedings of the 56th Pedagogical Conference on “Modern atheistic challenges”, published by the Department of Scientists of the Association M. VASILEIOS, Athens 2016, p. 9.
- “From religious fundamentalism to interreligious dialogue”, https://www.ekklisiaonline.gr/eipan/apo-to-thriskeftiko-fontamentalismo-sto-diathriskeiako-dialogo/.
- “Violence”, period. Piraeus Church 27/2017, p. 24.
- “Demonization, apotheosis and decline of European Rationalism. Cultural side effects “, Church of the Church of Greece, Greek and European Enlightenment, Proceedings of the 4th Conference, Athens 2016, p. 285.
- “Beauty and ugliness”, Sinaitic Diptychs 2017, p. 221.
- “The use of knowledge to interpret the Creation of the world as the work of God.” EXTENSIONS 27/2016, p. 99 ex. And https://1drv.ms/b/s!Aikz10zAykh2shpBHTxW3cvd33in.
- “The freedom of Christ and the freedom of the world”, Proceedings of the 2nd Panhellenic Conference of Christian Students Action on “Obedience and Freedom”, Athens 2017, pp. 13- 50.
- “The dynamics of tradition today”, Proceedings of the Conference at the Basilica of Ioannina on “Tradition: Value and Perspectives” 21/8/2016 of the Association The Hieromartyr Patrocosmas, Vasiliko 2017.
- “The concept of mediocrity in Aristotle and the Patriarchal Tradition”, Proceedings of the International Scientific Conference “Aristotle and Christianity”, Athens 2017, p. 186.
The orthodox worship ethos “, about I.M. Rhodes, I Odos 38/2017, p. 6.
- “Theology of happiness”, in Happiness is…, published by Ellinoekdotiki, Athens 2017.
- “Religion, terrorism, peace”, on the website of the Iranian Embassy Cultural Center www.athens.icro.irindex.aspx? Fkeyid = & siteid = 131 & pageid = 29208 & newsvieew = 693939.
- “The prenatal rights of the child: Theological reading”, Ed. M. Kanellopoulou et al., Bioethical Problems III, The Child, published by Papazisis, Athens 2018, p. 71.
- “Missionary – Sociology of Religion – Sociology of Christianity – Social Ethics”, Proceedings of the Theological Symposium for the 180 years of Theological Studies (9-11 / 5/2018, p. 679.
- “Perspectives of Theological Studies at EKPA”, Proceedings of the Theological Symposium for the 180 years of Theological Studies (9-11 / 5/2018, p. 693.
- “Equality of the two sexes in Church and Society”, https://averoph.wordpress.coφm/2017/05/28/ο-καθ-κ-αποστολος-νικολαϊδης
- “The dialogue: Theological, anthropological, sociological, religious and ecclesiastical approach”, ORTHODOX ACADEMY OF CRETE, Diakonia, dialogue, catalog, Kolimbari-Chania 2018, p. 471.
- “Individual and society”, CONTENTS 31/2018, p. 120.
- “Protestantism and individualism”, Proceedings of the Conference of the Dean of the Theological School on “Reform and the Orthodox Church: Dialogue and Controversy for Five Centuries”, Athens 2018, p. 133.
- “Protestant moral findings in the” Orthodox East “”, THEOLOGY 1/2019, p. 23.
- “The social contribution of Professor Savvas Agouridis”, MINUTES of a two-day conference on: “Savvas Agouridis: Scientific testimony, ecclesiastical and social ministry, published by the Dean of the Theological School of EKPA, Athens 2019, p. 115.
- “The moral dynamics of poverty in the Orthodox Christian Tradition”, EETHSPA, volume 50/2015, pp. 211-221.
- “Religion: Faith in God or in its value system?”, Ed. ΠΕΛΟΠΟΝΝΗΣΟΣ http://www.pelop.gr/?page=article&DocID=573905&srv=117.
- “Christos Giannaras as a theologian and philosopher”, EKPA, Official Speeches vol. 37th (2017-2018), Athens 2020, p. 259.
- “Top personalities of the Theological School of EKPA (1837-2017)”, EKPA, Official Speeches, vol. 37, Part B, (2016-2017), p. 230 ex., Athens 2020, p. 230.
- “The social work of the Theological School in its 180 years of operation”, Official Speeches, vol. 37, Part AD, (2016-2017), Athens 2020, p. 389.
- Bioethics and human dignity “, Proceedings of the Panhellenic Interdisciplinary Conference of the Union of Greek Physicists, etc., on” Modern Bioethics “, Tower 4-6 May 2018, p. 151.
- “Upgrades of love in the Teachings of Kosmas of Etolos”, KOSMETIAS THEOLOGICAL SCHOOL EKPA, Proceedings of the Scientific Conference “Agios Kosmas of Etolos, 240 years since his martyrdom (1779-2019), Athens 2021, p.318.
- The Last Temptation, Athens 2021.
- “The” green theology “of the Ecumenical Patriarchate”, THEOLOGICAL SCHOOL OF EKPA, Honorary Volume of the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew AD, Athens 2021, p. 711.
- “Man and the natural world: From submission to pedagogy”, Pemptousia.gr 8/3/22.
- “From eco-knowledge to theo-knowledge”, Pemptousia.gr 15/3/22.
- “Scientists: Collaborators or opponents of God”, Pemptousia.gr 22/3/22.
- “Nature in the role of mediator”, Pemptousia.gr 28/3/22.